Perfect Day

Perfect Day Wedding

Your Kitsap County, WA Marriage License – 4 Easy Steps to Getting Legally Married in the West Sound

Your Kitsap County, WA Marriage License – 4 Easy Steps to Getting Legally Married in the West Sound

If you are being married in Kitsap County, Washington, here are four easy steps to to help you secure a marriage license and get married!

How To Secure A Legal Marriage License And Get Married In Kitsap County:

1) Make A Trip To The Kitsap County Courthouse in West Sound: Grab your Sweetie and make a trip down to the Kitsap County Courthouse on Division Street in Port Orchard, WA and visit the County Auditor’s Office. The office is open from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and closed on Fridays. Both of you must apply for the license together and if you are unable to apply in person, you can call the Auditor’s office and start the paperwork to secure your marriage license by mail.

To apply for a marriage license, both of you must be at least 18-years-old and have a current photo ID as proof of identification. If one of you is 17 years, you must have a parent accompany you to the courthouse. Happily, a blood test and physical exam is not required!

When you secure your marriage license in Kitsap County, you must use it within 60 days in Kitsap County or any city, town or County within Washington State. Yes, that’s right! You can purchase your marriage license in any County in Washington State and your license is good for up to 60 days in any County in the State. Oh, and don’t forget ~ there is a three-day waiting period to use the marriage license from the date of your initial application.

So, to re-cap: You have 60 days to use your marriage license. And once you have your license, you must wait 3-days for your waiting period to expire before you can get married.

2) Find A Witness! Well, Find Two Witnesses! Yes, you must have two people over the age of 18 to witness your wedding ceremony and sign your legal documents.

3) Find Someone to Marry You: If you are being married within a recognized religious institution, church or organization, a person to marry you usually comes along with the facility. If you are being married outside of an established institution or organization, you most likely will need to find someone to marry you.

In Kitsap County, there are Non-Denominational Wedding Officiants and Ministers available to create and deliver your wedding ceremony. Fire up the Google and search under “Wedding Officiant Kitsap County” or “Wedding Minister Kitsap County” and create a short list of candidates.

If you have time, arrange to have coffee/tea with your prospects and make your best selection. Officiants and Ministers come in all shapes and sizes so your job is to select someone whose personality and approach to crafting and delivering a ceremony resonates with you.

And if time is short, do this by phone. Fees for Officiant vary greatly and there tends to be no set price range for services.

4) Get Married And Submit Your Signed Legal Paperwork: Once you are married, don’t forget to send your signed legal paperwork back to Kitsap County so your marriage can be officially and legally recorded. Your Officiant or Minister will most probably do this and if you do send your signed documents back by snail mail, allow 10-14 days for processing.

For your file and/or for all official name change pieces, you will need a certified copy of your marriage license once it is recorded. Contact the Auditor’s office for a copy at 360.337.4935.

For more marriage license information, visit the Kitsap County Auditor on the web: http://www.kitsapgov.com/aud/records/marriage.htm

Happy Wedding Day!