Perfect Day

Perfect Day Wedding

Getting a Passport for a Honeymoon

Getting a Passport for a Honeymoon

Planning to travel outside the United States for your honeymoon? No matter the destination, you will need valid passports. The only exception is if you plan to go on a closed-loop cruise. Read on for a concise explanation of what is required for getting a passport for a honeymoon.

Passport Book vs. Passport Card

If you plan to travel by air, then your only option is a passport book. If, however, you will be traveling by land or sea to your honeymoon destination, then you may only need a passport card which is less expensive. Passport cards can be used for travel to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean region.

One thing to consider is future travel plans. Even if you can use a passport card for your honeymoon, it would be in your best interest to get a passport book if you think you will travel to international destinations by air over the next 10 years. You can also request both the book and the card on one application if you prefer.

Which Name to Use for the Passport

Really, there is no choice. The name on the passport application form must be your current legal name not the future name you will take once married. Unless there will a significant interval between the wedding and the honeymoon, you will need to apply for a passport using your current name. You can request a passport name change after the honeymoon.

Note, the ticket purchased for your honeymoon must have the same name on it that is in your passport. This is required by TSA’s Secure Flight Program. This means you need to make reservations in your name prior to marriage.

Applying for the Passport

New passport applications should be submitted at a nearby passport office along with evidence of United States citizenship, an identification document, a copy of your ID and two passport photos. You pay an execution fee to the passport agent at the acceptance facility and mail the application fee with your packet to the State Department.

Routine service usually takes between 4 to 6 weeks. You can request expedited service to accelerate the process. Using this method should get your passport delivered to you within 2-3 weeks. Processing times may vary depending on the time of year, natural disasters, holidays and other factors.

If getting a passport for a honeymoon needs to be accomplished much quicker, then you can either submit the application and other documents at a regional agency or get a professional expediting service to do it for you. These are the fastest ways to get a passport. Of course, the additional time spent or extra fees paid would probably be nothing compared to missing your honeymoon.